This Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole is made low carb secretly using cauliflower as the base and no one will know!
All the flavors of a cheeseburger made into a layered casserole dish with the secret ingredient as the base!
I do love a cheeseburger every once in a while, but I always skip the bun. I’m gluten free, buns at burger joints are not. I’m eating as low carb as I can to take off some weight gained while writing my cookbook, burger buns do not fit into the low carb category so I forgo it.
But isn’t the cheeseburger and toppings why we love them so? I highly doubt it’s the bun that makes the burger.
So I give you the inside out burger made into a layered dish!
Impress your family or friends when you make this casserole.
This recipe requires a few steps but the results are well worth the effort.
Bring it to a pot luck and WOW everyone there when you tell them they just ate cauliflower!
Cheese and bacon make everything right in my world.
Even if you are watching your calories this dish will fill you up with one small serving so the calories will be completely worth it and you are getting your family to eat cauliflower without complaint!!
By the time you read this I will have completed my second to last Pine Wood Derby races with my little man who is a cubscout. Next year will be his last year to race his homemade race car. He unfortunately didn’t win first, second or third place, not even in 5th, more like 10th place.
I can’t say not winning a trophy for the fastest car doesn’t bother me because it does.
Sometimes we just want our kids to win right? I know I know…it’s not about winning but about the time spent together making the car, blah blah blah.
My hubby has been helping all the kids in the den to make sure their car is the right weight and you’d think he’d have some special idea of how to get our son’s car to at least make it into the top 5. Nope. He places last every year. So defeating!
All the kids who participate get a medal for coming but it’s just not the same.
As he said, ” I did the worst than everyone!” with big tears in his eyes. All I could say was, “You went artistic and made a beautiful blue marbled eyed tuna car and you had fun making it with daddy and that’s all that counts.”
But that is certainly not how I felt.
I wanted my boy to win.
I guess lessons in life that come with struggles and trials are part of growing up.
I can’t make him feel better just like I can’t make myself feel better when I struggle trying to lose these last 10 pounds. But all the struggles make us strive harder and provide a determination that can only come because of defeat.
I’ve had my fair share of defeat in this life and I’m sure you have as well.
But to enjoy this inside out burger without a bun and be completely satisfied, there is not defeat in that. It’s called winning!
- 1 head cauliflower or about 6 cups florets
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour or choice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces uncured reduced sodium bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 8 ounces sliced cheddar cheese
- Steam the cauliflower until fork tender.
- Place into a food processor and pulse until it resembles rice.
- Set aside in a bowl to cool then add the flour and salt and mix well.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until moderately cooked, but not crisp.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to keep bacon juice in skillet.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate to cool. Once cool chop into pieces.
- Add the ground turkey and oil to the same skillet and cook until browned.
- Add the onion powder, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Remove the turkey with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the sauce: Add the butter to the same skillet and stir in the flour over low heat. Cook until the flour has absorbed the butter then add heavy cream and mustard.
- Continue to cook on low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Place 1/2 cup of the sauce to the bottom of a 9 by 13 baking dish.
- Spread the cauliflower mixture on the spread as evenly as possible.
- Place 4 ounces of sliced cheddar over the cauliflower.
- Spread the ground turkey over the cheddar slices evenly.
- Pour half of the remaining sauce over the turkey.
- Place the remaining cheddar slices over the sauce.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with bacon.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool out of the oven for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.
Net Carbs= 10.5grams
Weight watchers Points Plus= 11*Nutrition Information
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 420
Recipe type: EntreePrep time:Cook time:Total time:source;http://www.sugarfreemom.com
- Fat: 29.1g
- Saturated fat: 13.9g
- Carbohydrates: 12.6g
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 703mg
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 27.8g
- Cholesterol: 130mg