low-carb diet to lose weight is nothing new, but there are a lot of misconceptions about what you’re allowed to eat. Over the years the diet has gotten a bad rep because people assume it means noshing on tons of red meat, butter, and few veggies. But, it’s actually less restrictive than you think.
Thai food? Check! Mexican? Check! Macaroni n’ cheese? Yup, even that classic comfort food is on the menu. The key is to choose high-fiber nutrient-dense carbohydrates like sweet potatoes and other root vegetables instead of ones like white rice. Combine that with healthy fats and optimal protein intake and your body will be fortified with the nutrients it needs. Plus, this type of diet will keep your appetite in check and provide fuel for your body, helping you power through a tough workout.
On top of shedding some pounds, there are some major health benefits to a low-carb diet, too. Studies show that certain risk factors for heart disease and insulin resistance improve when people follow a controlled carbohydrate program (e.g. triglyceride levels can decrease on average 44%, HDL good cholesterol increases, inflammation markers improve, and markers for pre diabetes disappear).
Not just for breakfast: Frittatas make great quick dinners. Serve with a fresh salad to round out the meal.
Skill level: Intermediate
Start to Finish: 50 to 60 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 20 to 30 minutes
8 large eggs
2 cups egg whites (about 16 large egg whites)
1/4 cup 2% milk
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup chopped red onions
1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped yellow bell peppers
1/8 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1) Preheat oven to 375º.
2) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk and lemon juice.
3) Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and bell peppers until tender and season with salt and pepper.
4) Add cheese and sautéed vegetables to egg mixture and stir until combined.
5) Pour mixture into a 9″ cake pan.
6) Bake frittata in oven until eggs are cooked and cheese is melted, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool briefly and cut into 8 pieces.
Nutritional information (per serving): Calories 175; Carbs 6 g; Fat 6 g; Protein 20 g