Frieeeeeends, Fall is slowly approaching, so you know what that means!! Okay, yes it does mean that we’re gonna go overboard with the pumpkin spice (it’s only right) and we’re gonna have our kitchens wrapped up in the warm, comforting scent of cinnamon every single day. One major thing that it also means is that we’re gonna be diving into all things comfort food. Yep, we’re embracing all of those delicious meals that just make you want to huddle on the couch in a huge sweater with a giant bowl of yumminess on your lap.
This Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Bake is basically what we all need. Right now. Every Day. Comfort food = defined.
One of my missions for this Fall season is to lighten up some of my family food favorites. It’s one thing trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle in the summer when you you’re surrounded by cutesy summer salads and fresh melons practically falling off the grocery store shelves. The weather is hotter, our clothes become shorter and we’re basically just more conscious about what we eat because we want that sexy summer look.
Then Fall rolls around and suddenly we’re (Vicci) trading in the melon for pecan pie and the salads for boat loads of mac and cheese. I can’t be the only one that’s guilty of this….right? 🙂
But, this year, we’re going low carb (for the most part) without sacrificing any of those delicious flavors that our taste buds are accustomed to.
I was actually SUPER impressed with how creamy the texture of the mashed cauliflower bake was. Now, I’m not gonna sit here and try to convince you that “omg these taste just like potatoes! You and your guests will never know the difference” because they don’t. They don’t taste like potatoes at all. They taste like cauliflower, loaded with cheese and bacon and all things yummy. What I will tell you however is that your guests will know it’s cauliflower, and then they will be like “woah, how are these really not potatoes?” and then you’ll be like “yeah, I kinda worked my magic” and then everyone will love you and you’ll be the star of the night.
Okay…well that’s how I envision it in my head because guys, this Loaded Cauliflower Bake is totally brag-worthy. Trust me on this
- 1 medium sized cauliflower head
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 tbs vegetable oil spread
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 strips turkey bacon
- 1/4 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Break up the cauliflower into small florets and add to a large pot of water. Cook on high heat until the cauliflower is very tender, approx 20-25 minutes. Transfer the cauliflower to the bowl of a food processor and add the almond milk, vegetable oil spread, salt and garlic cloves. Blend on high speed until the cauliflower has a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Place the turkey strips on a microwave safe plate and cook for 2 minutes. Flip over and cook for an additional 1 minute – these times will vary depending on microwave settings, but essentially, you want the turkey bacon to be crispy enough to crumble easily,
- Transfer the cauliflower to a baking dish and top with green onions, cheese and crumbled turkey bacon. Bake in the oven for approx 8-10 minutes or until cheese has fully melted. Serve and enjoy!