Eating right has always been, and will always be the cornerstone of a healthy body. If you are putting the wrong foods in your body, it can have disastrous effects on your health.
Your skin is the largest organ in your body, and this means it is even more dependent on a healthy diet.
The good news is that by making some changes to your diet, you can go a long way in getting back your beautiful skin.
Make sure you are eating the right foods
Plenty has been written on which specific types of foods are good for you. Same for foods that are bad. But not alot has been written on which combinations of food work well together, and which does not.
If you are eating the wrong combination of foods, your liver, kidney and bowel can become overloaded.
Your organs can’t flush out the bad stuff, and this means that it has to be flushed out in other ways – like through your skin.
This can lead to all sorts of different skin conditions, one of which is Vitiligo.
Some of the food groups that are vitally important in your quest to beating Vitiligo:
- Meat is the main source of protein, but it is important to balance your intake with other proteins such as soy beans, bananas, watermelon, leafy lettuce and sunflower sprouts.
- Don’t listen to all those nay-sayers when it comes to oils and fats. Consuming the right oils and fats can boost your cardiovascular system, as well as your immune system.
- Omega 3 fatty acids are an essential part of the anti Vitiligo diet. These essential fatty acids offer a number of health benefits, including better circulation levels, prevention of inflammation and boosting your immune system. Some sources of Omega 3 include salmon, walnuts and avocado.
- When selecting fruits and vegetables to include in your diet, make sure to go as colourful as possible. Opt for beetroots, spinach, dark green leafy vegetables and carrots.
- Drink plenty of water, at least 2 litres a day.
Avoid the bad stuff
The foods mentioned above will help greatly in your fight against Vitiligo, but they can only do so much. While including as many of the above in your diet, you also need to avoid certain foods that will make your symptoms worse.
Some of the foods that have been linked to Vitiligo are:
- Some people are allergic to Gluten without ever knowing it. You might be suffering from infammation because of this, while not experiencing any outer signs of this allergy. This can cause havock on your immune system.
- Acidic foods, such as lemons, can increase the acid levels in your stomach. This imbalance can worsen your symptoms.
- There are certain vegetables, called Nightshades, that cause inflammation, and have been known to cause Vitiligo. Some of these nightshades that you should avoid is: tomatoes, white eggplant, paprika, potatoes and tobacco.
- Processed foods should be avoided as much as possible. These are high in unhealthy preservatives, which has a negative impact on your immune system.
- Fast foods and soft drinks can be found around every corner, but they are some the biggest culprits in your diet. These are very bad for your skin, and those sugary soft drinks will slow down your metabolism.
Speaking of a slow metabolism, brings me to the third change you should be making to your diet.
Boosting your metabolism
When your metabolism is on the slow side, your body won’t be digesting proteins and carbohydrates properly. Your cells will also not be absorbing enough nutrients. This can lead to a number of health issues, one of which could be Vitiligo.
It is quite simple to give your metabolism a healthy boost. Try the following methods:
- Eating a healthy breakfast gives your metabolism a nice kickstart, and ensures that it starts working early in the day.
- Have a cup of tea, and increase your metabolism with as much as 12%. Make sure to not overdo it though, as too much caffeine is known to increase Vitiligo symptoms.
- Follow a detox plan to rid your body of all those nasty toxins that have built up over the last couple of months.
- Eat foods rich in iron. This will give you plenty of energy, which in turn will lead to a healthy metabolism.
- Getting some exercise will also give your metabolism a nice lift.
Increasing your metabolism will ensure that your body functions properly, and this will ensure that your body can do everything in its power to fight off the Vitiligo symptoms.
If all of this seems a bit much too remember, keep these three rules in mind:
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat the most colourful fruit and veggies that you can find
- Have breakfast and tea every morning